Online gambling is a popular activity among people throughout the world. Many of them play for entertainment. However, some people have severe difficulties with online gambling, which is not entertaining anymore. It is a problem that you should know about.
Our commitment is to tell you about some people’s problems with gambling. We share information on how to help yourself if you experience trouble because of gambling.
Before you start playing, take a look at some numbers
- 64,5% of Canadians admit they have gambling problems.
- People with lower incomes are less exposed to gambling than those with higher incomes. For example, 71,5% of Canadians from the highest income reported gambling in 2021.
- People with the lowest income represent 53,8% who admitted gambling problems.
Numbers are according to the www.statcan.gc.ca website.
How gambling addiction affects your life?
Gambling addiction relates to severe problems: bankruptcy, depression, suicide, domestic abuse, assault, fraud, and homelessness.
These outcomes can pull down the individual and their friends, family, workplace, or community.
People with gambling problems may hide or lie when asked where they have been or where the money has gone. Thereby, it is difficult to identify issues with gambling. Families often know something is wrong but don’t know what it is.
Tips for safe play
- Remember that gambling is not a way to make money for a living.
- You should not use alcohol and drugs while playing casinos, betting, or playing the lottery. It may badly affect your decisions.
- Play with the amount of cash you can afford to deposit. It would help if you refrained from borrowing money, taking a loan, or robbing to be able to gamble.
- Set a limited time frame you can spend for gambling.
- Set a limited budget you can spend for gambling.
- If it doesn’t bring you fun – stop playing. It is not worth it to keep playing when you feel upset due to constant losing. Gambling is for having fun, not for feeling low.
If you feel like your gambling is getting out of control, several resources are available in Canada. The first step is to recognize your problem and seek help. There is no shame in asking for help; it is essential to remember that there is always hope for recovery.
Ways to help gambling problems
As a responsible gambling platform, we offer you to get acquainted with the options to minimize the risk of experiencing gambling issues.
We placed the link to ConnexOntario, a help service for people struggling with gambling addiction. You can contact them via their website.
We also provide the contact list of other organisations.
British Columbia Problem Gambling Information and Referral Service 1-888-795-6111
Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline 1-888-230-3505
Québec – Gambling Help and Referral
(514) 527-0140 Montreal and surrounding area
1-800-461-0140 and 1-866-767-5389 throughout province
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). CAMH is a leading mental health and addiction treatment center in Canada, offering various services for those struggling with gambling addiction. You can reach CAMH at 1-800-463-2338.
You can refer to Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction. It is a non-governmental organization to help those struggling with gambling problems.
Learn these sources to help yourself in case of gambling problems arise.